On the edge of Montcaret, at a place called Montvert, on the territory of Saint-Seurin de Prats, stands a dovecote dating from the 17th century.
This dovecote resting on six pillars and a central pillar is located near the castle of the family of Montvert who lived in this area since the 16th century.
Today the house is a long building with two wings arranged at right angles.
It was built on the site of an old medieval fortress in the middle of a vast wooded park. The construction of the dovecote is due to Jehan de Rousset du Cluzeau in 1654, husband of the widow of a Montvert, of the younger branch, of Sainte-Terre.
The couple settled in Montvert and undertook important works.
In 1657, Olympe de Rousset, daughter of Jehan, married Daniel de Carrère and brought the estate of Montvert as a dowry. In 1679, Daniel de Carrère, who continued the work of his father-in-law, had Montvert and the dovecote covered: 3000 laths, 4000 nails and 6000 flat tiles were necessary.
New works in 1699 required 800 tiles, 300 nails and 5 slabs of lime.
At that time, one could reach the castle by passing in front of the dovecote.
A canopy protected horses and carriages.
The dovecote still housed pigeons in the 1970s.
The Friends of Montcaret
Town Hall of Montcaret
Tel : 05 53 58 60 06
Click on the image