Built in the 12th century then rebuilt in the 15th and 17th centuries, the cathedral of Notre-Dame des Doms dominates the Rhône valley from the Doms rock.
Its bell tower is surmounted by a gilded lead Virgin.
The first quotation of Notre-Dame des Doms dates from 1037.
The present building was built in the 12th century in three successive phases.
The bell tower and the nave then the lantern dome and finally the porch influenced by ancient architecture.
The cathedral was enlarged during the last two centuries of the Middle Ages with the opening of side chapels.
A new apse and a tribune will be put in place at the end of the 17th century.
Murals and paintings decorate the building.
The funerary chapel of Pope John XXII contains the diocesan treasure consisting of numerous liturgical ornaments and sacred vessels.
Provençal Romanesque art
While the Palace of the Popes is considered to be the largest Gothic ensemble of the Middle Ages, Notre-Dame des Doms, located right next door, is recognized as one of the masterpieces of Provençal Romanesque art and has many stylistic features inspired by the ancient :
Remarkable antique porch with:
o entablature consisting of a Greek frieze and modillions decorated with acanthus leaves
o fluted engaged columns surmounted by acanthus-leaf capitals
o pilasters surmounted by capitals decorated with a frieze of eggs
o large semicircular arch decorated with a frieze of eggs
Bell tower with:
o fluted pilasters over the whole height of the bell tower
o engaged columns
Romanesque white marble cathedral of the 12th century decorated under one of the armrests by the lion of Saint-Marc, under the other by the ox of Saint-Luc, classified as a Historic Monument with the title object
Gothic Tombs of John XXII and Benedict XII
Three statues of the Virgin Mary are present in the Cathedral: a statue of Our Lady of All Power and two statues of Our Lady of the Doms, one of which is a gilded lead Virgin5, which has crowned the bell tower since 1859.
Several pieces of art, sculptures but also furniture.
Baroque style tribunes (nave and choir)
The Gilded Organ was classified as a Historical Monument in 1974. It was first placed in the choir, then on a tribune above the entrance portal in 1829, and in 1837 on a tribune above the 14th century episcopal throne. In 1905, the gilded organ was abandoned in favour of the choir organ of Charles Mutin.
Metropolitan Basilica of Notre-Dame des Doms
Palace of the Popes Square
Tel : 04 90 82 12 21