Located in the Périgord Noir, not far from Sarlat and Sainte-Nathalène, Carlux is a typical village of this region.
The three castles...
A village which smells good the Middle Ages, endowed with interesting patrimonial elements such as the castle whose walls would date probably from the XIIth century, built on foundations going back undoubtedly to the Xth century.
This castle has known various vicissitudes, attacks, fires during the wars of religion in particular... It was razed in 1481 on the orders of King Louis XI.
In 1992, its restoration began, which allowed to put back up to date ramparts, keep, entrance tower, well...
Its ruins, imposing, offer a superb panorama on the valley of the Dordogne.
In 1990, Mr. Platel, its owner, donated it to the commune.
Second castle located on the commune, the castle of Rignac, private property of which only the outside can be visited.
Burned in 1966, the castle of Rignac, located in the north-east of the village, was restored in the second half of the 20th century.
Finally, Carlux is also home to the castle of Rouffillac. Perched on the hillside, dominating the Dordogne valley since the 12th century, it faces the Château de Fénelon, perched on the other side of the river. With its golden stone and slate roof, Rouffillac is an emblematic monument of this department.
In the 19th century, the Château de Rouffillac was transformed into a Renaissance-inspired "folie" by Arthur de Montméja. His son, ruined, left the building abandoned at his death.
In 1958 the castle was bought by the zoologist Pierre-Paul Grassé who invested a lot of money to restore the monument. Without altering the authenticity of the site, modern facilities were installed, allowing a large number of guests to be accommodated in a dozen rooms.
Today, it is owned by an Anglo-American couple, Cassandra and Kirk, who have made it a superb place to stay.
A little story in the big History, the American ambassador of President Jefferson would have written his letters concerning the purchase of Louisiana in the library at the beginning of the XIXth century.
During your visit to Carlux, you must stop in front of the church of Sainte-Catherine which dates from the 14th and 15th centuries in the middle of the Hundred Years War. A 17th century painted wooden pedestal in the church is classified as a Historic Monument, and the door of the church has been listed as a Historic Monument since November 15, 1926.
Also worth seeing in the church of Limejouls is the 14th century gothic chimney, restored in 1974 and which has two magnificent openings with tri-lobed arches visible from the terrace of the bar or from the backyard of the house that it surmounts
Carlux is also home to a beautiful 19th century market hall, now restored.
One cannot visit Carlux without stopping at the Robert Doisneau Station, a unique place in France which offers a permanent exhibition dedicated to the famous photographer.
The Gardens of Cadiot, created in the 1980s, are also a site not to be missed with its stone fountains and its collections of flowers such as peonies, old roses, grasses, hydrangeas, sage, daylilies, agapanthus...
Carlux also has several hiking trails including the GR 6 which passes through the village as well as the route from Vézelay to Rocamadour. The latter crosses Domme, Belvès, Cadouin, Saint-Avit-Seigneur, Beaumont-du-Périgord and Eymet.
Carlux Town Hall
1, place de la Forteresse
Tel : 05 53 29 71 08 and 05 53 30 23 40
La Gare Robert Doisneau
650, route de la Dordogne
Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator