Built in the 13th century, the church of Our Lady of the Assumption and its square four-story bell tower is the "jewel" of Ainhoa. Dominating the village, it presents harmonious proportions, the oldest part being built of gilded cut stones.
The thick walls are pierced with loopholes that are still visible, suggesting that this place of worship could have served as a refuge for the population in times of war.
During the Revolution, the church was transformed into a fodder store before returning to its first mission, worship in 1801.
Internally, the church of Ainhoa presents the essential characteristics of Labourdine religious architecture: a single nave, without pillars, covered with roofing, as well as floors of tribunes, called galleries.
The porch tower has four floors on which rests the base of an octagonal bell tower dating from 1823.
The church was listed as a Historical Monument in 1996.
Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator