The oldest covered market in France is in Grenade.
The covered market is classified as a historical monument since December 5th 1979 and occupies the central island of the bastide.
Like most of the bastides of the South-West, Grenade has preserved its market hall because it is a meeting place for all generations and has been for centuries.
It is dear to the hearts of the people of Grenada who gather there for the Saturday morning market, the annual Saint Luke's Day fair and the summer balls, as well as other events that are held there regularly.
In 1417, King Charles VI allowed the consuls "to have and make a clock with a bell".
In 1992 and 1993, the floor and the pillars were renovated and restored.
The great renovation is underway.
Second obligatory stop in Granada: the church of Notre-Dame de l'Assomption.
In the Languedoc gothic style, it houses large paintings, almost all of them painted by the knight Rivalz and coming from the abbey of Grand Selve, which has been completely destroyed today.
The Cavaillé-Coll organ is considered a remarkable instrument.
The church has been classified since 1951.
Grenade-sur-Garonne is a bastide in the countryside, but Grenade is also 30 kilometers from the large metropolis of Toulouse, and 20 kilometers from the Airbus assembly lines.
The former mayor, Rémy André, sums up the spirit of the city well: "We must preserve the charm and pleasure of living here, while reconciling this art of living with the economic and agricultural challenges of this century.
Halle de Greenade
40 Rue Victor Hugo,
Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator
Click on the image