Classified as a historical monument, the Château de Gramont is an exceptional witness of the architectural evolution of castles since the Middle Ages.
A little history...
The beginning of the construction of the castle of Gramont dates from the end of the XIIIth century.
Destroyed by a fire in 1523, rebuilt and transformed into a ceremonial castle by the Gramont family with Renaissance style additions, its splendor making its reputation throughout the kingdom.
In the 18th century, the castle was again ruined by a second fire. Today restored and secured, it offers a journey through six centuries of history of the family of the Dukes of Gramont and from the top of the 15th century dungeon a unique 360° panorama on the Bidouze valley and the Pyrenees mountain range.
The spectacular ruins of the castle of the Gramont family offer an imposing medieval keep, the oldest vestige of the castle.
Three large round towers, on the northwest and south sides, are evidence of the medieval castle destroyed in 1523 by the troops of William of Orange, lieutenant of Charles V.
The castle was then restored, each lord of Gramont making important improvements. From a defensive castle until the 16th century, it became a holiday residence from the 17th century.
At the beginning of the 18th century, a monumental entrance door with a triangular pediment was erected.
The building was empty when, during the night of February 22 to 23, 1796, a fire destroyed it. It has not been rebuilt since.
The current ruins of the castle retrace six centuries of construction from the 13th century to the 19th century.
Guided tours from April 2nd to November 5th. Torchlight tours on Tuesday evenings at 8:45 pm from July 19 to August 23.
Permanent panoramic exhibition in the dungeon. Grassed park in front of the castle in free access all the year. Nightly torchlight tours, costumed tours, musical fireworks in summer and historical shows in period costumes, historical shows in high season. Ticket sales and guided tours depart from the tourist office.
95, Allée de Gramont
Tel : 05 59 56 03 49
Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator
Click on the image