3 km from Clergoux, 20 min from Tulle and 45 min from Brive, in a vast domain of 130 hectares of forests, ponds and white water, stands the Château de Sédières, a true jewel of the "Italian Renaissance", classified as a Historic Monument in 1958, and property of the Corrèze Departmental Council since 1965.
A bit of history...
Built in the 15th century by the Bothier (or Bouthier) family, lords of Sédières and Champagnac, the castle was then a fortified residence, of square shape, containing a small courtyard and a keep of 5 floors. It remains from this period the drawbridge giving access to a door flanked by two turrets, some machicolations and loopholes...
In the 16th century, Dominique de Sédières undertook important renovation works, transforming this feudal castle into a pleasure house. The ditches were filled in and replaced by terraces, the surrounding walls were destroyed, and high roofs and turrets topped with pepper pots added grace to the old manor.
In the 16th century, the Lentilhacs decided to create a magnificent French garden, before emigrating during the Revolution, abandoning the castle.
In 1821, General de Chanal bought the property and brought the estate back to life. The restoration of the castle and its outbuildings was undertaken under the influence of the famous French architect Viollet-le-Duc and the 400 hectare agricultural estate was once again exploited.
After the death of the general, his daughter, wife of Baron de Neukirchen de Nyvenheim, decided to create an agricultural orphanage which remained at the forefront of technical progress until 1904, when it was closed.
The domain of Sédières then experienced a new and long period of abandonment and sank into a state of deplorable decay and degradation.
The castle today...
In 1965, for the sum of 40,000 francs, the Departmental Council of Corrèze decided to buy the castle and its outbuildings, after declaring it to be in the public interest, and the State became the owner of the adjoining forest estate, reduced to 130 hectares.
As soon as the castle was acquired, the first emergency interventions were carried out - waterproofing of the buildings, shoring up, etc. - and a vast restoration program was undertaken. The work continued from year to year.
To the south, the drawbridge was replaced by a standing bridge, but the 15th century entrance gatehouse, flanked by two turrets with watchtowers and peppered roofs, was preserved.
The buildings, decorated with beautiful openings remain asymmetrical as in the Middle Ages, and the sloping roofs keep traces of machicolations. The turret in the south corner has a Renaissance decoration.
Since 1974, the castle and its domain have been animated, combining heritage, cultural events, live arts and natural leisure activities: exhibitions, shows for young people, aperitif-concerts, classical music, modern music, dance and sports and nature activities...
- a certified leisure bike base with 12 marked routes from 5 to 96 km and 6 road routes from 23 to 84 km,
- a free Bike Park open to all,
- rental of mountain bikes of all sizes (20" to 29"), electric bikes and children's seats,
- a trial mountain bike area open to all with free access,
- 3 specific nature race courses marked out from the castle (1 green circuit 5.2 km, 1 blue circuit 9 km, 1 red circuit 14 km),
- 3 marked hiking trails starting in front of the castle (the 5.2 km tour of the lakes, the 15 km grand tour of Sédières, and the 9 km hunters of natural sensations),
- A permanent orienteering course of different levels,
- 2 free "treasure hunt" courses and a Terra Aventura geocaching course,
- A 160 meter long zip line, Mondays and Wednesdays from 3pm to 6pm, from July 11 to August 28
- A kite building and flying workshop, Mondays, 3 sessions at 3pm, 4pm and 5pm, from July 11th to August 28th
- Archery initiation, Mondays and Wednesdays from 3pm to 6pm, from July 11 to August 28
Large free parking lot.
Throughout the summer, the castle hosts a temporary exhibition and offers a pleasant terrace to refresh yourself. All summer long, the domain of Sédières offers sports activities, aperitif-concerts, shows for young audiences, shows in partnership, music...
Castle of Sédières
Domaine de Sédières
Tel : 05 55 27 76 40 and 05 55 27 69 64
Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator
Click on the image