Labeled a major site of Aquitaine in 2011, seat of one of the four baronies of the Périgord with Bourdeilles, Beynac and Mareuil, the Château de Biron occupies a strategic position on the edge of the Périgord and the Agenais.
Its history is linked to the greatness of a family, the Gontaut-Biron, who held the fief for eight hundred years.
Each century, between the 12th and 18th centuries, has left its mark, evoking the vicissitudes of this exceptional architectural ensemble: 12th century keep, double-storey chapel, Renaissance apartments, impressive vaulted kitchens...
The chapel of the castle, of very vast dimension, is on two floors and has preserved the tombs of Pons de Gontaut, baron de Biron, who died in 1524, and of his brother Armand, bishop of Sarlat, who died in 1531, the heads of the recumbents were hammered.
A "Mise en tombeau du Christ" and a "Pietà" are today in the Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York.
The castle has been classified as a historical monument since February 17, 1928, and the gardens were listed in 1992.
In 1978 the castle became the property of the Dordogne department, which began its restoration.
The castle, filming location
In 1959, part of "Le Capitan", a film by André Hunebelle with Jean Marais and Bourvil, was shot there.
In 1994 was shot there the film " La Fille de d'Artagnan " with Sophie Marceau and Philippe Noiret.
Other films also took place there such as " Le pacte des loups ", " Vous n'aurez pas L'alsace et la Lorraine ", " Les Visiteurs 2 ", " A tout jamais " and " Jacquou le Croquant ".
The castle of Biron is close to the city of Monpazier, certainly one of the most beautiful villages in France.
Castle of Biron
Tel: 05 53 63 13 39
Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator