This building, formerly the Via Palace, is the oldest prison in France. This palace, built in the 14th century by Pierre Via, brother-in-law of Pope John XXII, born in Cahors, was refurbished in the 17th century when it became a prison from 1790.
The prison was partly rebuilt between 1829 and 1835 by the departmental architect Charles Hector Malo.
It offers three protected elements.
First, the old lighthouse which served as a landmark for boatmen to guide them to the port and which was classified in 1922. It is now dismantled.
The tower of the King's castle, listed in 1925 and the old Palace, listed in 1996. These two elements are, since, 2019, classified and registered with the heritage
More than 200 years of history as a departmental prison, it still held sixty inmates in 2006 and closed its doors in July 2012, the twenty or so inmates still present, is transferred to the prison of Montauban.
The castle of the King
Rue du Château du Roi
Tel: 05 65 53 20 65
Click on the image