It is very rare to have the opportunity to explore the basement of the new Toulouse Courthouse, but this is possible during Heritage Days.
A new Courthouse has replaced the old one, which was built on the site of the Château Narbonnais, the former Parliament of Toulouse.
An 8th-century Carolingian necropolis, a collection of 13th-century ceramics, vases, and pots, as well as the remains of the Château Narbonnais—the castle of the Counts of Toulouse—are all brought together in one place at the Toulouse Courthouse, at the corner of Allées Jules Guesde and Place du Parlement.
It was at this location that the Château Narbonnais was built between 1155 and 1175 on the initiative of Raymond V. It was constructed along the Roman city wall. The fortress defended the southern entrance to the city.
In 1443, Charles VII, King of France, decided to establish the Parliament of Toulouse and what would become the Parliament’s Court of Justice, which handled both civil and criminal cases.
The Calas case was tried within these walls.
Gilbert Cousteaux, President of the Chamber and a history enthusiast, explains the evolution of the Parliament:
“In 1576, the site vacated by the demolition of the Château Narbonnais was temporarily granted to shop and tavern owners. Justice continued to be administered at the Parliament, which was expanded with new buildings.
The prison was built between 1822 and 1827 and was occupied by the mounted gendarmerie starting in 1872.
In 1958, the High Court—which had succeeded the Court of First Instance—was running out of space, and the gendarmes vacated the premises, allowing for a new expansion, which was followed by others.
In 1995, the decision was made to build the new courthouse.
It did not open its doors until 2008 due to the enormous amount of work required to preserve everything that had been discovered in the basement.”
The excavations, conducted by INRAP (the National Institute for Preventive Archaeological Research), uncovered part of the foundations of the Château Narbonnais: 30 meters long, 4 meters high, and 2.40 meters thick—a fine example of military fortification.
The crypt, covering more than 600 square meters, is accessible from the Hall of Lost Steps in the new courthouse.
Part of the ancient Roman road, dating back 2,000 years, was also discovered in this crypt.
Barricaded inside the castle, it was right here that Simon de Montfort met his end, restoring the city to Raimond VI, Count of Toulouse!
As space is limited, tours of the Courthouse require advance registration with the tourist office.
Archaeological Crypt of the Courthouse
Place du Salin
31000 Toulouse
Toulouse Tourist Office,
Donjon du Capitole
Square Charles de Gaulle
31000 Toulouse
Tél. : 05 17 42 31 31
http://www.toulouse-tourisme.com/