Located at the top of the hill of Thouzon, the remains of a former fortified monastery, called the castle of Thouzon is a site consisting of two beautiful Romanesque chapels, Sainte-Marie and Saint-Pierre and annex buildings protected by a double enclosure.
The oldest parts date from the beginning of the 11th century with the confirmation of the property by the bishop of Cavaillon in 1014, and are the remains of a Benedictine priory founded by the monks of the abbey of Saint André de Villeneuve les Avignon.
Fortified over the next two centuries, it was endowed with an impressive defensive system in which a first curtain wall flanked by four towers was to be built.
Abandoned at the end of the 17th century, the site today offers a beautiful panorama from the Monts de Vaucluse to the Mont Ventoux, making it an ideal place for picnics and hiking.
Private property since 1696, the castle of Thouzon has been restored and managed by an association member of the REMPART union which organizes every summer voluntary youth workcamps, concerts, visits and a children's training course.
Le Thor Tourist Office
Place du 11 November
84250 Le Thor
Tel: 04 90 33 92 31
Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator