Located in an exceptional defense site, clinging to the side of a high cliff and dominating the village of Larroque-Toirac and the Lot valley, the castle of Larroque-Toirac, which was several times taken by the English, has preserved in its medieval part all its defensive system.
The seigniorial residence, where the original kitchen remains, shelters very beautiful chimneys of the 15th century as well as frescos of the 16th century.
The decorations are dated from 1515 to 1531 and some adjustments were made in the 17th century.
The privileged exposure of the site explains the presence in the gardens of many exotic plants.
It should be noted that the cliff behind the castle contains very old caves that were used as troglodyte dwellings.
In the 18th century, its owner, Raymond de Pontanier de Saulon, was murdered by a certain Delbreil whose father was himself killed by the younger brother of the deceased lord.
The castle, classified as a Historic Monument in 1995, is open to visitors every day from the beginning of July to the end of September from 10:30 am to 12 pm and from 2 pm to 6 pm and for groups, on request, from May to October.
Castle of Larroque-Toirac
Tel : 06 12 37 48 39 and 06 60 08 80 10
Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator