Formerly called the Chapel of the Virgin, this small chapel, built in the 11th century, was a high place of pilgrimage where people came to pray to the Virgin for sick and nervous children, but also for a good understanding in the household.
In the course of its history, it was desecrated and burned many times, in particular in 1370 by the troops of the Black Prince and in 1587 during the Wars of Religion.
Restored in 1625 and enlarged in the 18th century (last bay and bell tower), it brings together three eras and three architectural styles, Romanesque, Gothic and 18th century style. Its bell tower is remarkable because it is covered with shingles, a kind of chestnut wood tiles.
Community Tourist Office Gartempe-Saint Pardoux
Phone : 05 55 76 57 57 or 05 55 76 56 80
Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator