250 models of 2 or 3 wheels, some of which are more than 100 years old, scenographies, costumes, period photos, this is what the Museum offers.
It is in a former flour mill that one of the largest motorcycle collections in France is grouped on 4 floors in the Museum of Motorcycles of Marseille.
The Museum of the Motorcycle leaves the possibility to the visitors to wander around to
their will, around sumptuous machines, photos and videos being allowed.
The 250 exceptional pieces that make up the collections are from
of the museum's heritage but also donations, loans from private collectors or individuals and exchanges with other museums in France and Europe. In this way, the collection is constantly renewed.
On 1200 m², the visit retraces the evolution of the motorcycle, according to the technical and design discoveries.
Many rare pieces
Among other rare pieces, we can mention:
- the prototype MGC 1935/1938, 650 cc, 4 cylinders in line (aircraft engine). This avant-garde motorcycle, unique in the world, is undoubtedly the most beautiful and complex French machine of its time,
- a collection of "moto GUZZI" machines in perfect condition, showing a rapid evolution of the Italian brand,
- military motorcycles that participated in World War II,
- more than thirty unique machines in the world,
- but also many sets and scenographies that showcase sumptuous mechanicals.
The quality and rarity of its pieces have enabled the Musée de la Moto de Marseille to become part of the national motorcycle collection of France.
A visit open to all...
The Museum of the Motorcycle, has for vocation to maintain the social link and wants to be a factor of integration in a highly urbanized environment.
With this objective, the entrance fee is voluntarily favouring access to all.
Moreover, the museum adapts to everyone: all areas are accessible to people with disabilities.
At the same time, throughout the year, the museum develops a policy of animation aimed at the young public.
Pedagogical games and educational activities are offered to groups, social structures, schools and supervised by qualified personnel from the City of Marseille's Education and Youth Department. Since January 2019, a scooter or motorbike driving simulator has been available for children aged 14 and over and for adults (appointment booking for groups).
The museum has a library containing more than 2000 specialized magazines, journals and books from the 1930s to the present day.
The Museum outside the walls...
Known well beyond the Phocaean city, the museum is associated at the national level with major events and groups of motorcyclists, but also with events of international scope such as :
- the Historic Grand Prix of Monaco (2008),
- the Motorcycle and vintage car show of Reims,
- the Avignon motor festival (2009),
- the International Police Motorcycle Parade of Aix-en-Provence (2009),
- the Historic Grand Prix of Marseille (2008),
- The Antique Motorcycle Show at the Parc des Expositions in Paris,
- Co-organization of the vintage village at the Bol d'Or (since 2014).
- And many others...
Open every day from 9.00 am to 5.00 pm except Sundays, Mondays and public holidays.
The Motorcycle Museum
18, rue Jean Marsac, (formerly known as the Saint-Paul Crossing,
Tel: 04 91 55 48 43
Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator