Located in a twelve hectare estate bordered by the Canal du Midi and the Hérault River, Château Laurens was built between 1897 and 1901 on the initiative of Emmanuel Laurens (1873-1959), a wealthy heir.
It was one of the first houses to be equipped with central heating and electricity, and reinforced concrete was also used for its construction, which was an avant-garde choice.
The Château Laurens is one of the few Art Nouveau buildings in the Languedoc-Roussillon region.
This artistic movement is inspired by the image of women and refers to nature, the use of the curve being preponderant.
Following risky investments, Emmanuel Laurens went bankrupt and was forced to sell the Château Laurens as a life annuity in 1938.
He lived in a part of the castle until his death in 1959.
In a state of abandonment, the castle Laurens deteriorates quickly and falls into oblivion until its purchase by the City of Agde in 1994.
A huge restoration project
Classified as a historical monument in 1996, the building has since undergone major rehabilitation work.
The project, estimated at more than 10 M€, is the largest heritage restoration project in the Occitanie Region, but also one of the most subsidized by Europe, the State, the Region and the Department.
The music room, entirely restored, is already open to the public while waiting for the completion of the work.
The Jules Baudou Museum, located at 5, rue de la Fraternité in the heart of the city of Agde, presents the arts and traditions of the city. One of its rooms houses part of the furniture preserved in the Villa Laurens, which is currently being restored. An exceptional Art Nouveau furniture made by the artist Léon Cauvy, a must see!
avenue Raymond Pitet,
Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator