A little history...
In 1120 hermits gathered around a spring organized themselves into a community, adopted the rule of life of Saint Augustine and founded the abbey of Chancelade.
The name Chancelade comes from the Latin fons cancellatus, meaning a hidden fountain, a protected spring.
This abbey developed rapidly but after the 100 years war and the wars of religion, only ruins remained.
In 1614 the young Alain de Solminihac accepted to succeed his uncle as abbot of Chancelade. After his ordination he settled in Chancelade and successfully undertook the reform of his abbey.
The abbey will then know a very great influence before being, for the most part, destroyed at the time of the revolution leading to the disappearance of all monastic presence... until 1992.
That year, the bishop asked the community of Canons Regular of Saint-Victor present in Saint-Astier to take charge of the parish of Chancelade.
This community settled definitively in Chancelade in 1998 with the project, in progress, of restoring the Logis Abbatial and making it a spiritual center open to all.
Today you can visit the abbey church, a Romanesque building, property of the Commune, entrusted to the Canons Regular of Saint Victor for the exercise of Catholic worship, the chapel of Saint Jean, consecrated parish church in 1147, property of the diocese.
The park, mostly private, is open to the public, allowing one to admire the Abbey House, property of the Community, which is currently being restored.
The abbey church was classified as a historical monument in 1909, and the buildings as a whole were then classified or registered between 1942 and 2008.
Abbey of Chancelade
Rte des Carrières,
Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator
Click on the image