The Monastery of the Mendicant Monks of Lauzerte was founded in the 12th century and occupied by Capuchins until 1789. Chased out of the monastery by the French revolutionaries, they dispersed throughout France.
A legend tells that, since that date, Father Calixte, returns every Christmas Eve at the twelfth stroke of midnight.
Having heard about this tradition of a returnee, the contractor who had restored the monastery, and wishing to verify its authenticity, came to Father Calixte's cell on December 24, 1972 shortly before midnight, accompanied by his daughter.
Settled in silence in complete darkness, they saw appear just after midnight, not the monk in his robe, but a soft light on the hearth of the fireplace, the shape and size of a plate, illuminating the whole room. The phenomenon lasted only a few seconds and then repeated itself a few moments later before disappearing for good.
The monastery received the "Golden Tower" award in 1980 for its restoration.
Monastère des Capucins